I’m six books through The Wheel of Time. I’ve already read something like 8 or 9 books in the series before (I’m kind of vague on exactly which book I gave up on while they were being first published), so this is a sort of re-read followed by new read for the the last few books.
You can follow my reviews and retrospectives of the books as they get published, by checking the ‘The Wheel of Time‘ tag. Before I embark on book 7, I thought I’d spend a bit of time reflecting on what I hope the last 8 books in the series deliver, and what questions they answer.
For all I know, some of these could have been answered in the books I’ve already read beyond this point, some may get answered later in books I’ve not read, and some may never be resolved, but I thought I’d write them down anyway. I’ve turned off comments on this post, so that no one is tempted to try and comment with any spoilers for book 7 onwards. However, be warned, there are spoilers for everything up to and including book 6 below.
When asking these, I’m assuming the Dark One doesn’t win at the end, with the only issue will be how much do the good guys lose in order to win. As it goes, this is pretty much a boring list of stuff, but when I’ve finished the series I might come back and tick off the ones that get resolved. So, here goes (don’t forget, spoilers)
- Does Moiraine survive, who rescues her if she does (does she rescue herself)?
- What did Moiraine see in Rhuidean, and how much of that is ever revealed to us?
- Mat – just everything about Mat. What does he end up doing, does he end up using the Horn? Does his death mean he’s no longer linked to it? Does anyone else realise that?
- Who is Olver, and is he Gaidal Cain?
- What is the taint on Saidin? Does it ever get explained?
- Just exactly what is going on with the seals?
- How important was Herid Fel and which of the Forsaken did him in?
- What is going on with Lews Therin inside Rand’s head. Are they really talking to each other? Does Lews hear Rand in his own timeline?
- What happens in general to the Aiel after it’s all done.
- Do the Tinkers ever find the song?
- Do the Tinkers and the Aiel ever forgive each other?
- Do Moiraine and Thom end up together?
- Does Elayne ever work out Mat’s fox-head medallion and does that play any role later?
- Do they ever relearn the art of healing without having to use energy from the patient (i.e. can they heal with just the One Power, like in the Age of Legends)?
- Just what the hell is Verin really up to? Who is she, how old is she, and how long has she known about the events leading up to where we are in the books?
- Does Elayne ever work out how to make angreal and sa’angreal?
- Does someone, anyone, finally realise that if you don’t just talk openly and honestly with your allies, you don’t get anywhere?
- Does someone, anyone, finally realise men and women must work together and trust each other to succeed both in the battle and in life afterwards?
- What happens with Lan’s heritage, and does it play any role?
- Do the Ways ever get cleansed?
- Does the taint get removed from Saidin (I’m cheating, I know the answer to this one already, one of the few things I remember from later books)?
- What’s going on with Moridin (again, cheating, I’m not sure he’s been introduced yet)?
- Are some of the characters meant to be stupid for a reason?
- Is it ever explained that the ability to channel is genetic and hence killing male channellers before they have kids is the reason why fewer people in general can use the One Power, or is it only ever alluded to?
- Does someone chop Nynaeve’s braid off to save us all from ourselves?
- Does Elayne ever take up the Throne of Andor?
- Does Rand end up with all three girls or does that dream ever get abandoned / explained?
- Does Perrin hold out and remain human?
- Does the Tower become whole? Do they stop using the Oath Rod? Is that ever fully explained?
- Padan Fain – what happens to him?
- Who does and doesn’t survive the last battle (people, nations, structures, cities, etc.)
- Does Rand fully seal the prison, so that it looks like the bore never existed, is this the age in which that happens, or is it just another patch?
That’ll do for now. I’ll come back and edit this, perhaps after each book going forward to see which questions are answered, and which new questions are posed and need answering.
Update 1: 25th August
Have now finished book 7. The following questions come to mind (spoilers for book 7).
- Once again, who’s Moridin?
- Who’s in the second mindtrap?
- What was going on with Liah in Shadar Logoth? How did she survive so long?
- Do we ever know what happened when the two balefire beams touch?